Wednesday, February 1, 2012

CLE and Future Pregnancies

I'm moving into my second trimester of pregnancy with baby #3, and baby #2, Andrew, is our little CLE baby.  Like many families, we've never had a birth defect in our family, so this is unchartered territory for us.

I had a checkup yesterday and talked to my OB/Gyn yesterday about how we need to handle the pregnancy.  Here are the factors that affect future pregnancies: 
  • Congenital Lobar Emphysema typically happens spontaneously.  However, there are some cases that are inherited genetically, with even fathers and sons having it as well as mothers and daughters. 
  • When CLE is genetic, it is through autosomal dominant inheritance, which means that if you're a carrier, your children have a 50/50 chance of inheriting it. 
  • CLE is more common in males, so that can skew the above numbers a bit.
  • CLE can be detected and monitored throughout pregnancy by using ultrasounds, but it is not always detectable in the womb.
  • There are very clear benefits to knowing your child has CLE ahead of time.  I would want to deliver at a hospital where the doctors are somewhat familiar with CLE and near a children's hospital, so that my child can be transported there quickly if he or she needs an emergency lobectomy.  I live 2 hours away from one children's hospital and 3 hours away from the one where Andrew had his lobectomy.  The hospitals in my smallish town are nice, but they're in no way equipped to deal with such a serious situation, which is why Andrew and I were flown to Dallas, TX for his lobectomy.

My OB/Gyn for this pregnancy is the same one who delivered Andrew and he's also a family friend, so he's a little familiar with the situation because of that.  But like most folks, he's really not incredibly familiar with CLE.  He's going to research and do his homework on CLE and come up with a plan, but at this point, he believes the best thing to do is to refer us to a genetic counselor. 

I'm completely unfamiliar with genetic counseling, but from what my doctor explained, the counselor will talk with us about the genetic side of CLE.  If needed, we'll get testing to find out if my husband and I are carriers of CLE.  If one of us is a carrier, then we'll have to figure things out from there.  The plan will likely include a Level 2 Ultrasound to check for the birth defect. 

Have any of you met with a genetic counselor regarding CLE or any other birth defect?  I'm really curious about the process.  How did your doctors handle future pregnancies after having a baby with a birth defect?  I do think this is one of many situations in which it's nice to have an OB/Gyn who you can trust to make the best decisions for your family.

4 comments:

  1. I was looking for copd treatments for my husband who was 72yrs old, my husband has COPD and cancer, his condition was very critical which i was very afraid that will not survive it.
    His white blood count was very low right now and his doctors are planning on starting some chemo or other treatment soon.. I don't believe he will last long if he does this.. His copd is getting worse even though he hasn't smoked in 30 years.
    so i decided to come online to see if there will be better alternative, during my research i saw a lady post about doctor OSE who has power over deadly disease, so i decided to contact him because i really do not care about what my husband was talking in all i want for him is for him to get well for me because he was all i have, my husband took the remedies as he told us and few weeks later my husband stop to notice that symptoms of his disease are begging to leave him so he went back to his Dr and he was told he no longer has those diseases.
    My husband is totally free of COPD and cancer if not for doctor OSE who help us rid this problem there is a possibility that my husband wouldn't be alive today.
    their contact info (dr.oseherbalspellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for copd treatments for my husband who was 72yrs old, my husband has COPD and cancer, his condition was very critical which i was very afraid that will not survive it.
    His white blood count was very low right now and his doctors are planning on starting some chemo or other treatment soon.. I don't believe he will last long if he does this.. His copd is getting worse even though he hasn't smoked in 30 years.
    so i decided to come online to see if there will be better alternative, during my research i saw a lady post about doctor OSE who has power over deadly disease, so i decided to contact him because i really do not care about what my husband was talking in all i want for him is for him to get well for me because he was all i have, my husband took the remedies as he told us and few weeks later my husband stop to notice that symptoms of his disease are begging to leave him so he went back to his Dr and he was told he no longer has those diseases.
    My husband is totally free of COPD and cancer if not for doctor OSE who help us rid this problem there is a possibility that my husband wouldn't be alive today.
    their contact info (dr.oseherbalspellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had COPD for 9 years. My first symptoms were dry cough, chest tightness and shortness of breath. My first chest x-ray only showed bronchitis. Finally I went to a pulmonologist and was diagnosed with COPD.i have used all the medication yet they don’t work, last year December I was told by a formal emphysema patient to use  totalcureherbalfoundation@gmail.com herbal treatment which I really did,i was surprise the herbal products effectively get rid of my COPD totally. When you get where you cannot breathe it may be too late. Good luck to each and every one that will be trying their herbal treatment .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure of the cause of COPD emphysema in my case. I smoked pack a day for 12 or 13 years, but quit 40 years ago. I have been an outdoor person all my adult life. Coughing started last summer producing thick mucus, greenish tint to clear. I tried prednisone and antibiotics, but no change. X-rays are negative, heart lungs and blood and serum chemistries all are normal. I have lung calcification from childhood bout with histoplasmosis. I am 75 years old and retired.My current doctor directed me to totalcureherbsfoundation .c om which I purchase the COPD herbal remedies from them ,they are located in Johannesburg, the herbal treatment has effectively reduce all my symptoms totally, am waiting to complete the 15 weeks usage because they guaranteed me total cure.

    ReplyDelete